Positioning minority business ventures for growth and success.
Husch Blackwell’s Economic Development Impact Team is a dynamic, innovative and interdisciplinary legal team focused on sustaining and scaling Minority Business Enterprises (MBEs). Our lawyers defend and advise MBEs and their owners at all stages of their business life cycle, and guide non-MBEs in the development and implementation of socio-economic investment programs and partnerships and conscientious and legally compliant impact.
Our experienced attorneys provide clients and stakeholders with the expertise and resources to define and achieve their goals. Members of our Economic Development Impact team have in-depth knowledge of corporate law; government and commercial contracts; diversity, equity and inclusion; intellectual property; labor and employment; fiscal law; and real estate issues. We draw on this wealth of knowledge to guide clients through the web of challenges they face, positioning them for growth and success. Through our extensive network, we are able to introduce opportunities and expand customer geographies and capabilities.
We provide legal solutions to the following problems:
- Company formation and structure
- Intellectual property
- Financing, including private offerings, crowdfunding, commercial loans, micro loans and small business loans
- Outside legal services
- MBE pedagogical and technical assistance
- Social impact investing criteria and programs
- Government contracts and OFCCP compliance
- Joint ventures, association agreements and other strategic partnership agreements
- Labor and employment issues
- Certification and compliance with Airport Disadvantaged Business Enterprise, Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE), Minority Business Enterprise (MBE), Women Business Enterprise (WBE), Small Business Administration (SBA) and other preferred vendor programs
- Mergers, acquisitions and other change of control transactions
- Tax credits and incentives
- Franchising and Distribution
- Protection and preservation of heritage
We are deeply rooted in the investment, business and startup communities across our national footprint, with many contacts who might be interested in partnering with minority-owned businesses in various ways. In addition to providing legal solutions, we actively seek to educate and provide resources to MBEs through regular networking events aimed at connecting MBE business owners with suppliers, customers, sources of capital, service providers and other key stakeholders, as well as through educational forums and series. .